E-Commerce Fulfilment A-Z: Part 4 – PickingSarah Smith
Warehouse picking is a critical and resource-intensive process for any fulfillment center. It involves the retrieval of stored products from their designated locations in order to fulfill customer orders. As one of the largest expenses of a fulfillment center, it is imperative to optimize this process.
Picking methods vary among fulfillment centers and retailers. Below is a list of the most commonly used methods:
- The first is “single order picking”, which entails the retrieval of individual products for each customer order. While it may seem straightforward, this method can be time-consuming and labour-intensive.
- Secondly, is the “batch picking” method. Workers will retrieve multiple products for multiple orders simultaneously. This method is more efficient as it allows for the handling of several orders at once. This approach saves valuable time and resources.
- Third is the “zone picking” method. It assigns specific workers to different zones or areas of the warehouse. This technique enables workers to specialize in certain areas, making the picking process more streamlined and organized.
- The “wave picking” method, involves the retrieval of multiple products for multiple orders in a specific sequence or “wave.” This method enhances efficiency, but it requires planning to ensure that products are picked in the right order.
- Finally, “discrete picking” is the most popular method for smaller warehouses and retailers with a limited number of SKUs. Accuracy is high because each picking staff focuses on only one order at a time. However, more distance is covered on average to fulfill an order. As business expands, the discrete picking method becomes cost prohibitive. This highlights the significance of partnering with an experienced Order Fulfillment is the process of receiving, processing, and delivering customer orders, including picking, packing, and shipping. More provider that can ensure accuracy and efficiency as the retailer’s sales grow.
At Hyperlinks we employ a combination of the above-mentioned picking methods. And as our clients order volume increase, we may transition from discrete and wave picking methods to zone and batch picking, depending on the business’s current requirements.
Put your trust in us! Hyperlinks is a full service 3PL Logistics partner ready to help small to large businesses with their order fulfillment. Contact us today for your free evaluation – 1-844-985-1592